From "Hiller, Dean" <Dean.Hil...@nrel.gov>
Subject Re: How many Column Families can Cassandra handle?
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 18:18:12 GMT
600 is probably doable but each CF takes up memory……PlayOrm goes with a strategy that can
virtualize CF's into one CF allowing less memory usage….we have 80,000 virtual CF's in cassandra
through playorm….you can copy playorm's pattern if desired.  But 600 is probably doable
but high.  10,000 is not very doable.

But you would have to try out 600 to see if it works for you….it may not work…try and
find out in your load and context.

NOTE: We have changed the 80,000 virtual CF's such that are in 10 real CF's these days so
we get more parallel compaction going on.

Dean

From: Raihan Jamal <jamalraihan@gmail.com<mailto:jamalraihan@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:39 AM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>" <user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>>
Subject: How many Column Families can Cassandra handle?

I am working on a use case for Timeline series data. I have been told to create 600 column
families in Cassandra. Meaning for 10 minutes, I will be having column families in Cassandra.
Each second will have its own column family, so till 10 minutes which is 600 second, I will
be having 600 column families...

In each second, we will write into that particular second column family.. so at 10 minutes
(which is 600 second), we will write into 600 second column family..

I am wondering whether Cassandra will be able to handle 600 column families or not.. Right
now, I am not sure how much data each column family will have... What I know so far is write
will be coming at a rate of 20,000 writes per second...

Can anyone shed some light into this?