From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra cluster migration in Amazon EC2
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 18:11:16 GMT
On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Renat Gilfanov <grennat@mail.ru> wrote:

> - Group 3 of storages into raid0 array, move data directory to the raid0,
> and commit log - to the 4th left storage.
>  - As far as I understand, separation of commit log and data directory
> should make performance better - but what about separation the OS from
> those two  - is it worth doing?

Nope. Best practice for amazon is ephemeral disks, and RAID0 for data +
commit log.

>  - What are the steps to perform such migration? Will it be possible to
> perform it without downtime, restarting node by node with new configuration
> applied?
>  I'm especially worried about IP changes, when we'll uprade the instance
> type. What's the recomended way to handle those IP changes?

Just set auto_bootstrap:false in cassandra.yaml to change the IP address of
a node to which you have copied all the data its token had before its IP
address changed and therefore does not need to be bootstrapped.

=Rob