From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Best version to upgrade from 1.1.10 to 1.2.X
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2013 21:02:05 GMT
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Paulo Motta <pauloricardomg@gmail.com>wrote:

> Doesn't the probability of something going wrong increases as the gap
> between the versions increase? So, using this reasoning, upgrading from
> 1.1.10 to 1.2.6 would have less chance of something going wrong then from
> 1.1.10 to 1.2.9 or 1.2.10.

Sorta, but sorta not.

https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/NEWS.txt

Is the canonical source of concerns on upgrade. There are a few cases where
upgrading to the "root" of X.Y.Z creates issues that do not exist if you
upgrade to the "head" of that line. AFAIK there have been no cases where
upgrading to the "head" of a line (where that line is mature, like 1.2.10)
has created problems which would have been avoided by upgrading to the
"root" first.

> I'm hoping this reasoning is wrong and I can update directly from 1.1.10
> to 1.2.10. :-)

That's what I plan to do when we move to 1.2.X, FWIW.

=Rob