From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Row Mutation Errors while upgrading to Cassandra2.0
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2013 17:29:05 GMT
On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Shashilpi Krishan <
Shashilpi.Krishan@wizecommerce.com> wrote:

>  We had a Cassandra cluster (running with v1.0.7) spread across 3 data
> centers with each data center having 16 nodes. We started upgrading that to
> 2.0 but realized that we can’t go directly to 2.0 due to read failures,
> hence to avoid down time we have to go from 1.0 à 1.1 à 1.2 à 2.0.

In general you should not run a Cassandra version X.Y.Z in production where
Z < 5. Although I notice down thread that this cluster is not serving a
critical business function... :)

As you have discovered, you also should not generally try to upgrade across
more than one major version.

> Now problem is while upgrading from 1.2 à 2.0 we saw below errors
> flooding the system.log files in one data center only until we upgraded all
> the nodes in every DC to 2.0. We think that moment last node was upgraded
> then this error was gone. Does anyone has idea what could have been causing
> this? Is it because of some version incompatibility?

I would probably file a JIRA with relevant details/log snippets. It is
quite possible that this is expected, major version upgrades
semi-frequently spam logs with non-pathological error messages.

=Rob