From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Maintain backup for single node cluster
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 20:51:52 GMT
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to have a single node cassandra cluster initially but to
> maintain backups for single node  how about occasionally & temporarily
> adding a second node (one that would contain the backup, this could be my
> dev machine as well, far far from first node in some remote datacenter) to
> cluster as a replica so that data would be synchronized on both as if it
> were a replica.
>
> Would it be possible to do this ? May be I could do this backup once 2-3
> days.

That's not really the way that replication and joining/parting nodes works
in Cassandra. You could in theory do something like what you're talking
about, but you.. shouldn't.

If you want to back up a single machine, why not just snapshot and rsync
the snapshot to the backup host? Or use something like tablesnap [1] if
you're in EC2?

=Rob
[1] https://github.com/synack/tablesnap