From Michael Theroux <mthero...@yahoo.com>
Subject Temporarily slow nodes on Cassandra
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2013 19:33:57 GMT
Hello,

We are experiencing an issue where nodes a temporarily slow due to I/O contention anywhere
from 10 minutes to 2 hours.  I don't believe this slowdown is Cassandra related, but factors
outside of Cassandra.  We run Cassandra 1.1.9.  We run a 12 node cluster, with a replication
factor of 3, and all queries use LOCAL_QUORUM consistency.

Our problem is (other than the contention issue, which we are working on), when this one node
slows down, the whole system performance appears to slow down.  Is there a way in Cassandra
to accommodate or mitigate slower nodes?  Shutting down the node in question during the period
of contention does "resolve" the performance problem, but is there anything in cassandra that
can assist this situation while we resolve the hardware problem?

Thanks,
-Mike