From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: What is the best way to install & upgrade Cassandra on Ubuntu ?
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 07:40:20 GMT
> I am not sure if I should use datastax's DSC or official Debian packages from Cassandra.
How do I choose between them for a production server ?
They are technically the same.
The DSC update will come out a little after the Apache release, and I _think_ they release
for every Apache release.

>  1.  when I upgrade to a newer version, would that retain my previous configurations
so that I don't need to configure everything again ?

Yes if you select that when doing the package install.

> 2.  would that smoothly replace the previous installation by itself ?

Yes

http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/2.0/webhelp/index.html#upgrade/upgradeC_c.html#concept_ds_yqj_5xr_ck

> 4. when should I prefer datastax's dsc to that ? (I need to install for production env.)

Above

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
New Zealand
@aaronmorton

Co-Founder & Principal Consultant
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 27/09/2013, at 11:01 PM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure if I should use datastax's DSC or official Debian packages from Cassandra.
How do I choose between them for a production server ?

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Could you please clarify that:
> 1.  when I upgrade to a newer version, would that retain my previous configurations so
that I don't need to configure everything again ?
> 2.  would that smoothly replace the previous installation by itself ?
> 3.  what's the way (kindly, if you can tell the command) to upgrade ?
> 4. when should I prefer datastax's dsc to that ? (I need to install for production env.)
>

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you install Cassandra on Ubuntu & later how do you upgrade the installation
on the node when an update has arrived ? Do you simply download & replace the latest tar.gz,
untar it to replace the older cassandra files? How do you do it ? How does this upgrade process
differ for a major version upgrade, like say switching from 1.2 series to 2.0 series ?

> Use the deb packages. To upgrade, install the new package. Only upgrade a single major
version. and be sure to consult NEWS.txt for any upgrade caveats.