From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: SchemaDisagreementError when launching a new Cassandra (1.2.2) cluster ?
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 01:08:23 GMT

Robert,

Many thanks.  Yes, it looks like a bug in 1.2.2.  So far (6 runs) v
1.2.9 is acting as I had expected.

(BTW re schema, I'm not defining anything myself so it is just the
default/empty schema for which I was getting disagreeing versions.)

Can I confirm I'm following best practice:  when starting my cluster, I
pick 2 nodes as seed nodes, then set up and start all the nodes in
parallel, all configured to use those 2 seed nodes.

Is there any care recommended in the start-up order?

The docs suggest it doesn't matter too much so long as there is enough
information to discover all the nodes, but I've seen some surprising
behaviour.  Besides the buggy 1.2.2, even with 1.2.9 if you try to be
smart and set seeds@node1=node2 and seeds@node2=node1 it blows up rather
spectacularly -- [1] !

Cheers
Alex

[1]  java.lang.RuntimeException: No other nodes seen!  Unable to
bootstrap.If you intended to start a single-node cluster, you should
make sure your broadcast_address (or listen_address) is listed as a
seed.  Otherwise, you need to determine why the seed being contacted has
no knowledge of the rest of the cluster. Usually, this can be solved by
giving all nodes the same seed list.