From André Cruz <andre.c...@co.sapo.pt>
Subject Extracting throughput-heavy Cassandra operations to different process
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2013 10:09:03 GMT
Hello.

I have been looking into the memory patterns of Cassandra (1.1.5), and I have a suggestion
that I haven't seen discussed here.

Cassandra is configured by default with a GC tailored for pauseless operation instead of throughput,
and this makes sense since it needs to answer client queries with low latency. Under "normal"
operation I see no Full GCs. But when repairs/compactions are run the memory pattern changes
and I see frequent Full GCs, which take too long.

Wouldn't it make sense to do repairs/compacts in a separate JVM process with a GC configured
differently? In this case pauses wouldn't pose such a problem. I'm finding it difficult to
configure the GC to behave correctly with and without repairs going on.

Best regards,
André