From Jan Algermissen <jan.algermis...@nordsc.com>
Subject Re: Update-Replace
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:19:13 GMT
Baskar,

On 03.09.2013, at 23:11, Baskar Duraikannu <baskar.duraikannu@outlook.com> wrote:

> I have a similar use case but only need to update portion of the row. We basically perform
single write (with old and new columns) with very low value of ttl for old columns.

I found out that using bound statements with java-driver works quite well for this case because
the fields with a ? in the prepared statement but without a bound value will be automatically
set to null - hence removed.

So this actually automagically does what you/I want.

See <https://groups.google.com/a/lists.datastax.com/d/msg/java-driver-user/APfnKNTXuvE/gBeCk37jgRAJ>

Jan

> > From: jan.algermissen@nordsc.com
> > Subject: Update-Replace
> > Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 17:35:48 +0200
> > To: user@cassandra.apache.org
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a use case, where I periodically need to apply updates to a wide row that
should replace the whole row.

> > The straight-forward insert/update only replace values that are present in the executed
statement, keeping remaining data around.

> > Is there a smooth way to do a replace with C* or do I have to handle this by the
application (e.g. doing delete and then write or coming up with a more clever data model)?