Hello Mikhail,

The bullet 1 implies consistency, but at later time. And you don't lose the transaction. By the way, RF 3 to support financials is too low.

#2, if the entire disk (that had no parity) fails you lost this write, but the 3rd node would have the write.

Again, having a greater CF is the key.

Regards,

Arthur

-------- Original message --------
From: Mikhail Tsaplin <tsmisher@gmail.com>
Date: 08/10/2013 12:13 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Handling quorum writies fails

Hi.

According to Datastax documentation about atomicity in Cassandra: QUORUM write succeeded only on one node will not be rolled back (Check Atomicity chapter there:http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/webhelp/index.html#cassandra/dml/dml_about_transactions_c.html). So when I am performing a QUORUM write on cluster with RF=3 and one node fails, I will get write error status and one successful write on another node. This produces two cases:

  1. write will be propagated to other nodes when they became online;
  2. write can be completely lost if the node accepted that write will be completely broken before propagation.

What is the best ways to deal with such kind of fails in let say hypothetical funds transfer logging?