3 node EC2 m1.xlarge is ~ $1000/k month + any incidental costs ( s3 backups, transfer out of the AZ ), etc ) or ~$300/month after a ~$1400 upfront 1 year reservation fee.

There are some uncomfortable spots when compaction kicks on concurrently for several large CF's but otherwise its been performant and so far stable using ephemeral raid0 ala ( Datastax's 2.4 AMI ).