On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM, rash aroskar <rashmi.aroskar@gmail.com> wrote:
I am setting up new cluster for cassandra 1.2.5, and first time using cassandra compression.
I read about the compressors, and it gathered Snappy Compressor gives better compression but is sslightly slower than LZ4 compressor. Just wanted to know your experience and/or opinions as to Snappy vs LZ4 , which compressor is better in case of huge data, less writes but lots of reads.

In general LZ4 is supposed to be better than Snappy, which is why it was added. The LZ4 site (iirc?) has some charts explaining its performance compared to Snappy in various cases. There's also the charts at https://github.com/ning/jvm-compressor-benchmark/wiki.

=Rob