Morning folks,

For the last couple of days all of my nodes (17, all running 1.2.8) have been stuck at various percentages of completion for compacting system.hints.  I've tried restarting the nodes (including a full rolling restart of the cluster) to no avail.

When I turn on Debugging I am seeing this error on all of the nodes constantly:

DEBUG 09:03:21,999 Thrift transport error occurred during processing of message.
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TFramedTransport.readFrame(
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readAll(
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readI32(
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readMessageBegin(
        at org.apache.thrift.TBaseProcessor.process(
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CustomTThreadPoolServer$
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$

When I turn on tracing, I see that shortly after this error there is a message similar to:
TRACE 09:03:22,000 ClientState removed for socket addr /

The IP in this message is sometimes a client machine, sometimes another cassandra node with no processes other than C* running on it (which I think rules out an issue with a particular client library doing something funny with Thrift).

While I wouldn't expect a Thrift issue to cause problems with compaction, I'm out of other ideas at the moment.  Anyone have any thoughts they could share?