For those of you using pycassa or the cassandra dbapi2 driver, I wanted to let you know that a beta version of the DataStax python driver is available on GitHub here: https://github.com/datastax/python-driver

This driver works exclusively with cql3 and uses the new native protocol for Cassandra 1.2+ in place of Thrift.  The main benefits are:

The driver design closely follows that of the DataStax Java driver (https://github.com/datastax/java-driver) and C# driver (https://github.com/datastax/csharp-driver) with some pythonic adjustments.

There's also a basic mapping layer available through the 'native' branch of the cqlengine library, which can be found here: https://github.com/cqlengine/cqlengine/tree/native.

We're planning to put the driver through some rigorous QA internally before the first non-beta release of the driver later this year.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or bug reports, I would love to hear them!

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax