From Romain HARDOUIN <romain.hardo...@urssaf.fr>
Subject RE: Cassandra-shuffle fails
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:34:38 GMT
Hi,

"Failed to enable shuffling" is thrown when an IOException occurs in the
constructor JMXConnection(endpoint, port).
See Shuffle.enableRelocations() in org.apache.cassandra.tools.

Have you set up credentials for JMX?

Regards,
Romain

De :    Tamar Rosen <tamar@correlor.com>
A :     user@cassandra.apache.org,
Cc :    Vitaly Sourikov <vitaly@correlor.com>, Yair Pinyan
<yair@correlor.com>
Date :  29/08/2013 17:35
Objet : Cassandra-shuffle fails

Hi,

We recently upgraded from version 1.1 to 1.2
It all went well, including setting up vnodes, but shuffle fails.

We have 2 nodes, hosted on Amazon AWS

The steps we took (on each of our nodes) are pretty straight forward:
1. upgrade binaries
2. adjust cassandra.yaml (keep token)
3. nodetool upgradesstables
4. change cassandra.yaml to vnodes rather than tokens
5. restart cassandra
6. cassandra-shuffle create.

All the above went fine. However, the following fails:
cassandra-shuffle enable
Failed to enable shuffling on 10.194.230.175!

Note:
1. The failure is immediate, and consistent.
2. Calling shuffle create on either node prepares the shuffle files for
both.
3. I made sure both servers are communicating fine on both 9160 and 7199.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tamar

Tamar Rosen
Senior Data Architect