From Morgan Segalis <msega...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding my first node to another one...
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 21:07:11 GMT
Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your answer.
I have read the section "Adding Capacity to an Existing Cluster" prior to posting my question.

Actually I was thinking I would like Cassandra choose by itself the token.

Since I want only some column family to be an ALL cluster, and other column family to be where
they are, no matter balancing…

I do not find anything on the configuration that I should make on the very first (and only
node so far) to start the replication. (The configuration of my Node A is pretty basic, almost
out of the box, I might changed the name)
How to make this node know that it will be a Seed.

My current Node A is using Cassandra 1.1.0

Is it compatible if I install a new node with Cassandra 1.2.8 ? or should I fetch 1.1.0 for
Node B ?

Thank you.

Morgan.

at http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/operations/cluster_management
> and come back here with questions and more details.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arthur
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Morgan Segalis
> Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:24 AM
> To: user@cassandra.apache.org
> Subject: Adding my first node to another one...
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to wrap my head around Cassandra great ability to expand…
>
> I have set up my first Cassandra node a while ago… it was working great, and data wasn't
so important back then.
> Since I had a great experience with Cassandra I decided to migrate step by step my MySQL
data to Cassandra.

> Now data start to be important, so I would like to create another node, and add it.
> Since I had some issue with my DataCenter, I wanted to have a copy (of sensible data
only) on another DataCenter.

> Quite frankly I'm still a newbie on Cassandra and need your guys help.
>
> First things first…
> Already up and Running Cassandra (Called A):
> - Do I need to change anything to the cassandra.yaml to make sure that another node can
connect ? if yes, should I restart the node (because I would have to warn users about downtime)
?
> - Since this node should be a seed, the seed list is already set to localhost, is that
good enough ?

> The new node I want to add (Called B):
> - I know that before starting this node, I should modify the seed list in cassandra.yaml…
Is that the only thing I need to do ?