From Haithem Jarraya <a-hjarr...@expedia.com>
Subject Re: Automatic tombstone compaction
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:17:05 GMT
I guess I didn't understand your question then, I thought you changed the compaction strategy.
If that what you did, you have to run upgradesstaable again.

On 21 Aug 2013, at 15:33, tamas.foldesi@thomsonreuters.com<mailto:tamas.foldesi@thomsonreuters.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I ran upgradesstables as part of the Cassandra upgrade, before issuing the CQL alter command.
According to the docs, SizeTieredCompactionStrategy is fine (that is what I used, and plan
on continue using), and automatic tombstone compaction is available for it:
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/webhelp/index.html#cassandra/operations/ops_about_config_compact_c.html
I just had to include the ‘class’ in the alter statement, otherwise it would not accept
my command.
Is that not right?

Thanks,
Tamas

From: Haithem Jarraya [mailto:a-hjarraya@expedia.com<mailto:hjarraya@expedia.com>]
Sent: 21. august 2013 16:24
To: user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Automatic tombstone compaction

Hi,

do you mean LeveledCompactionStrategy?

Also you will need to run nodetool upgradesstables  [keyspace][cf_name] after changing the
compaction strategy.

Thanks,

Haithem Jarraya
On 21 Aug 2013, at 15:15, tamas.foldesi@thomsonreuters.com<mailto:tamas.foldesi@thomsonreuters.com>
wrote:

Hi,

After upgrading from 1.0 to 1.2, I wanted to make use of the automatic tombstone compaction
feature, so using CQL3 I issued:

ALTER TABLE versions WITH compaction = {'class' : 'SizeTieredCompactionStrategy', 'min_threshold'
: 4, 'max_threshold' : 32, 'tombstone_compaction_interval' : 1, 'tombstone_threshold' : '0.1'};

But I still see no trace that would suggest this works – we had 60G of data with TTL=1week
pushed a while ago to the test cluster, the majority of it should be expired & compacted
away by now. Not sure if it is relevant, but this old data is in one ~60G file + I have a
few smaller files with latest data in them.
Looking at JMX: DroppableTombstoneRatio = 0.892076544, which seems to back my theory.
Am I doing something wrong, or am I expecting the wrong thing?

Thanks,
Tamas