From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade path to 2.0
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:49:52 GMT
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Randy Fradin <randy.fradin@gmail.com>wrote:

> If I'm reading this right, it seems CASSANDRA-5695 only bumps the
> upgrade path to 1.2.7. And is CASSANDRA-5845 still a concern if we
> don't make any schema changes while the cluster is in a split version
> state?

That is my understanding re: 5695, though 1.2.7 doesn't actually exist due
to being withdrawn as a result of a regression. Anything marked 1.2.7 is
effectively 1.2.8.

Per iamaleksey (#cassandra@freenode), the upgrade process to 2.0 creates
new schema, which is capable of being pulled by any 1.2 node in the same
cluster. So the two previously mentioned bugs preclude online ("rolling
restart") upgrade without first upgrading to 1.2.x >=1.2.9.

There are also third and fourth (related) issues, which aleksey just
confirmed are the *real* reason you *must* pass through 1.2.x >= 1.2.9, as
they preclude offline upgrade with the entire cluster down. You *must*
start your node on >= 1.2.9 < = 2.0.x, because the fixes occur at startup
time.

=Rob