From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Vnodes, adding a node ?
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 18:23:31 GMT
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM, rash aroskar <rashmi.aroskar@gmail.com>wrote:

> what do you mean by not adding as a seed? if I add new node to existing
> cluster, the new node should not be added as a seed in cassandra.yaml for
> other nodes in the ring?
> when should it be added as a seed then? once the cluster is balanced? or
> after manually running rebuild command?

My impression is that the project doesn't know the answer to your
questions. If they do, it seems that they do not care to publicly clarify
the logic and best practice for state management with regard to seed nodes
and bootstrap.

The only thing I know for certain is that the current situation seems
illogical : if a given node is defined as a seed in its own conf file, it
will refuse to bootstrap. But it might be defined as a seed in other nodes
conf files, so removing it from its own seed list seems unlikely to prevent
it from "being a seed." It seems illogical that a "seed" should be
prevented from bootstrapping if it can bootstrap just fine... as long as it
doesn't know it's a seed.

=Rob