From Jan Algermissen <>
Subject Re: Choosing Java Driver for using Cassandra with Java EE7
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2013 15:39:11 GMT

On 03.08.2013, at 17:17, Keith Wright <> wrote:

> I definitely recommend the datastax driver so long as you plan on using cql3.

No, I can live with lower level querying. What I am concerned with is that thread pool issues
in JavaEE should be left to the container and I am trying to understand which driver will
integrate with JavaEE in the most natural (aka 'standard') way.

> Its binary protocol allows multiplexing, is vnode token aware, and does not require serialize/deserialize
to thrift.  We used astyanax before and it did work well and has support (aka recipes) for
standard usage cases like scans.
> Tony Anecito <> wrote:
> I use the DataStax driver anm happy with it so far. Also, think about if driver is being
worked on as Cassandra gets updated since CQL version always getting improved so driver needs
to improve wth it. So if driver developers not work on it often then you should not use it.
Also, I think DataStax driver might have more users so DataStax get mre feedback for improvements
and fixes.
> Just my 1 cent.
> -Tony
down to the functionality you require in your application.  The Java Driver form datastax
has the lowest learning curve  for any java programmer familiar with JDBC and I believe deals
with pool management.
> Just my .2 cents worth
> Andy
> On 3 Aug 2013, at 08:28, Jan Algermissen <> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I plan on using Cassandra in a Java EE7 (Glassfish) project and I wonder which driver
I should pick.

> > Can anyone make a recommendation which of the available drivers fits best into a
Java EE environment?