From Jeremiah D Jordan <jeremiah.jor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: successful use of "shuffle"?
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2013 17:42:09 GMT
You need to introduce the new "vnode enabled" nodes in a new DC.  Or you will have similar
issues to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-5525

Add vnode DC:
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/webhelp/index.html#cassandra/operations/ops_add_dc_to_cluster_t.html

Point clients to new DC

Remove non vnode DC:
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/cassandra/1.2/webhelp/index.html#cassandra/operations/ops_decomission_dc_t.html

-Jeremiah

On Aug 30, 2013, at 3:04 AM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1.
>
> I am still afraid of this step. Yet you can avoid it by introducing new nodes, with vnodes
enabled, and then remove old ones. This should work.

> My problem is that I am not really confident in vnodes either...
>
> Any share, on this transition, and then of the use of vnodes would be great indeed.
>
> Alain
>

> 2013/8/29 Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com>
> Hi!
>
> I've been wondering... is there anyone in the cassandra-user audience who has used "shuffle"
feature successfully on a non-toy-or-testing cluster? If so, could you describe the experience
you had and any problems you encountered?