From Kanwar Sangha <kan...@mavenir.com>
Subject RE: Secondary Index Question
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:10:37 GMT
Thanks Dean. Any reason why it is sequential ? It is to avoid loading all the nodes and see
if one node can return the desired results ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Hiller, Dean [mailto:Dean.Hiller@nrel.gov]
Sent: 21 August 2013 07:36
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Secondary Index Question

Yup, there are other types of indexing like that in PlayOrm which do it differently so all
nodes are not hit so it works better for instance if you are partitioning your data and you
query into just a single partition so it doesn't put load on all the nodes.  (of course, you
have to have a partition strategy to partition by say month with key being the timestamp of
begin of month or maybe you partition by account as you only query into accounts).

It is feasible to roll your own as well.  (though you do need to worry about eventual consistency
here when rolling your own)

Later,
Dean