From Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Subject Re: DataStax Native Protocol Python Driver [beta]
Date Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:28:51 GMT
On 8/16/13 9:05 AM, Tyler Hobbs wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Sergey Leschenko <sergle.ua@gmail.com
> <mailto:sergle.ua@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is there some list of planned drivers for other programming languages?
>

> I don't know if we have a list somewhere, but we're currently working on
> a C/C++ driver and we'd like to make sure that good Ruby, node.js, and
> (probably) PHP drivers are also available.  I believe there are some
> decent options for node.js already, and various members of the community
> have also put together drivers for Clojure, Scala, and Go.

Out of curiosity, did you look at taking the C++ driver and wrapping it
with SWIG or something similar for the Python, Ruby drivers?  Would the
performance be better?  I would think with Python, you could maintain a
separate C thread for receiving notifications from Cassandra without
taking a lock on the GIL.

I realize that having a native Python driver is also nice for simplicity
in deployment, but just wondering.

Blair