From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: understanding memory footprint
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 03:05:09 GMT
> "Does the number of column families still significantly impact the memory footprint? If
so, what is the incremental cost of a column family/table?"
IMHO there would be little difference in memory use for a node with zero data that had 10
CF's and one that had 100 CF's. When you start putting data in the story changes.

As Alain said, the number of rows can impact the memory use. In 1.2+ that's less of an issue,
but the index samples are still on heap. In my experience in normal (4Gb to 8GB heap) this
is not an issue until you get into 500+ million rows.

The number of CF's is still used when calculating when to flush to disk. If you have 100 cf's
the server will flush to disk more frequently than if you have 10. Because it needs to leave
more room for the memtables to grow.

The best way to get help on this is provide details on the memory settings, the numbers of
CF's, the total number of rows, and the cache settings.

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 13/08/2013, at 9:10 PM, Alain RODRIGUEZ <arodrime@gmail.com> wrote:

> if using 1.2.*, Bloom filters are in native memory so not pressuring your heap, how many
data do you have per node ? If this value is big, you have samples index in the heap consuming
a lot of memory, for sure, and growing as your data per node grow.

> Solutions : increase the heap if < 8GB and / or reduce sampling index_interval: 128
to a bigger value (256 - 512) and /or wait for 2.0.* which, of the top of my head, should
move the sampling in native memory allowing heap size to be independent from the data size
per node.

> This should alleviate things. Yet these are only guesses since I know almost nothing
about your cluster...

> Hope this help somehow.
>

> 2013/8/12 Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Paul Ingalls <paulingalls@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't really need exact numbers, just a rough cost would be sufficient.  I'm running
into memory problems on my cluster, and I'm trying to decide if reducing the number of column
families would be worth the effort.  Looking at the rule of thumb from the wiki entry made
it seem like reducing the number of tables would make a big impact, but I'm running 1.2.8
so not sure if it is still true.

> Is there a new rule of thumb?
>
> If you want a cheap/quick measure of how much space partially full memtables are taking,
just nodetool flush and check heap usage before and after?