From Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Recommendation for hosting multi tenant clusters
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 03:18:37 GMT
I also saw somewhere (may have been twitter) that the reads they benchmark against for provisioned
IOPS is something like 4KB or 8KB. It was something small, smaller than the page size memmapping
will use anyway.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 14/08/2013, at 1:23 PM, Ben Bromhead <ben@instaclustr.com> wrote:

>  http://www.mail-archive.com/user@cassandra.apache.org/msg11022.html sums it up pretty
well. Optimised images and provisioned IOPS may help, but whatever way you spin it your reads
and writes are still going out on the network somewhere.

> EBS is like a giant SAN which will drop out at any second, take almost everything in
your region down with it whilst simultaneously opening up a gate to hell that lets all sorts
of unimaginable horrors into the world.

> Ok maybe not that bad, but network issues between ebs and your instances is painful.
Whereas network issues with a single AZ can be dealt with in the course of normal cluster
operations.

> On a slight tangent, have a read of http://thelastpickle.com/2011/06/13/Down-For-Me/
which does an awesome job of explaining what will happen to your quorum reads and writes when
a AWS AZ goes down (and you use ephemeral storage).

> Cheers
>
> Ben Bromhead
> Instaclustr | www.instaclustr.com | @instaclustr | +61 415 936 359
>

> On 14/08/2013, at 10:42 AM, Jon Haddad <jon@jonhaddad.com> wrote:
>
>> I strongly recommend against EBS, even with optimized & ebs provisioned.  The
throughput you'll get from local drives is significantly better than what you'll get with
EBS (even 4K iops provisioned)

>> On Aug 13, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Rahul Gupta <rgupta@dekaresearch.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am working on requirement to host multi tenant Cassandra cluster (or set of
clusters) on Amazon EC2 (AWS).

>>> With everything else sorted out, I have below question where I am looking for
recommendations:

>>> Does Amazon’s recent support of EBS optimized images changes whole discussion
around EBS vs. ephemeral drives and image size?

>>> ·         Option 1: reserved m1.xlarge (4x420GB drives) is $0.187/hr
>>> ·         Option 2: reserved m1.large EBS-optimized  is $0.119/hr (~$50/month
less than m1.xlarge, but $168/month for 4x420 standard EBS volumes): costs $120/month more,
but additional recovery options

>>> Given Cassandra is designed to survive failures, combining replication factor
3 and backing-up to S3, I think should be enough for back up.

>>> Please advise.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rahul Gupta
>>> DEKA Research & Development
>>> 340 Commercial St  Manchester, NH  03101
>>> P: 603.666.3908 extn. 6504 | C: 603.718.9676
>>>
>>> This e-mail and the information, including any attachments, it contains are intended
to be a confidential communication only to the person or entity to whom it is addressed and
may contain information that is privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.