From "Arthur Zubarev" <Arthur.Zuba...@Aol.com>
Subject Re: Adding my first node to another one...
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 18:32:57 GMT
Hi Morgan,

The scaling out depends on several factors. The most intricate is perhaps
calculating the tokens.

Also the Cassandra version is important.

At this point in time I suggest you read section Adding Capacity to an
Existing Cluster at
http://www.datastax.com/docs/1.0/operations/cluster_management
and come back here with questions and more details.

Regards,

Arthur

-----Original Message-----
From: Morgan Segalis
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 11:24 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Adding my first node to another one...

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to wrap my head around Cassandra great ability to expand…

I have set up my first Cassandra node a while ago… it was working great, and
data wasn't so important back then.
Since I had a great experience with Cassandra I decided to migrate step by
step my MySQL data to Cassandra.

Now data start to be important, so I would like to create another node, and
add it.
Since I had some issue with my DataCenter, I wanted to have a copy (of
sensible data only) on another DataCenter.

Quite frankly I'm still a newbie on Cassandra and need your guys help.

First things first…
Already up and Running Cassandra (Called A):
- Do I need to change anything to the cassandra.yaml to make sure that
another node can connect ? if yes, should I restart the node (because I
would have to warn users about downtime) ?
- Since this node should be a seed, the seed list is already set to
localhost, is that good enough ?

The new node I want to add (Called B):
- I know that before starting this node, I should modify the seed list in
cassandra.yaml… Is that the only thing I need to do ?

It is my first time doing this, so please be gentle ;-)

Thank you all,

Morgan.