From David Schairer <dschai...@humbaba.net>
Subject Re: Which of these VPS configurations would perform better for Cassandra ?
Date Sun, 04 Aug 2013 14:34:23 GMT
Of course -- my point is simply that if you're looking for speed, SSD+KVM, especially in a
shared tenant situation, is unlikely to perform the way you want to.  If you're building a
pure proof of concept that never stresses the system, it doesn't matter, but if you plan an
MVP with any sort of scale, you'll want a plan to be on something more robust.

I'll also say that it's really important (imho) to be doing even your dev in a config where
you have consistency conditions like eventual production -- so make sure you're writing to
both nodes and can have cases where eventual consistency delays kick in, or it'll come back
to bite you later -- I've seen this force people to redesign their whole data model when they
don't plan for it initially.

As I said, I haven't tested DO.  I've tested very similar configurations at other providers
and they were all terrible under load -- and certainly took away most of the benefits of SSD
once you stressed writes a bit.  XEN+SSD, on modern kernels, should work better, but I didn't
test it (linode doesn't offer this, though, and they've had lots of other challenges of late).

--DRS

On Aug 3, 2013, at 11:40 PM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:

> @David:
> Like all other start-ups, we too cannot start with all dedicated servers for Cassandra.
So right now we have no better choice except for using a VPS :), but we can definitely choose
one from amongst a suitable set of VPS configurations. As of now since we are starting out,
could we initiate our cluster with 2 nodes(RF=2), (KVM, 2GB ram, 2 cores, 30GB SDD) . Right
now we wont we having a very heavy load on Cassandra until a next few months till we grow
our user base. So, this choice is mainly based on the pricing vs configuration as well as
digital ocean's good reputation in the community.

> On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM, David Schairer <dschairer@humbaba.net> wrote:
> I've run several lab configurations on linodes; I wouldn't run cassandra on any shared
virtual platform for large-scale production, just because your IO performance is going to
be really hard to predict.  Lots of people do, though -- depends on your cassandra loads and
how consistent you need to have performance be, as well as how much of your working set will
fit into memory.  Remember that linode significantly oversells their CPU as well.

> The release version of KVM, at least as of a few months ago, still doesn't support TRIM
on SSD; that, plus the fact that you don't know how others will use SSDs or if their file
systems will keep the SSDs healthy, means that SSD performance on KVM is going to be highly
unpredictable.  I have not tested digitalocean, but I did test several other KVM+SSD shared-tenant
hosting providers aggressively for cassandra a couple months ago; they all failed badly.

> Your mileage will vary considerably based on what you need out of cassandra, what your
data patterns look like, and how you configure your system.  That said, I would use xen before
KVM for high-performance IO.

> I have not run Cassandra in any volume on Amazon -- lots of folks have, and may have
recommendations (including SSD) there for where it falls on the price/performance curve.

> --DRS
>
> On Aug 3, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am building a cluster(initially starting with a 2-3 nodes cluster). I have came
across two seemingly good options for hosting, Linode & Digital Ocean. VPS configuration
for both listed below: