From David Schairer <dschai...@humbaba.net>
Subject Re: Which of these VPS configurations would perform better for Cassandra ?
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2013 19:23:57 GMT
I've run several lab configurations on linodes; I wouldn't run cassandra on any shared virtual
platform for large-scale production, just because your IO performance is going to be really
hard to predict.  Lots of people do, though -- depends on your cassandra loads and how consistent
you need to have performance be, as well as how much of your working set will fit into memory.
 Remember that linode significantly oversells their CPU as well.

The release version of KVM, at least as of a few months ago, still doesn't support TRIM on
SSD; that, plus the fact that you don't know how others will use SSDs or if their file systems
will keep the SSDs healthy, means that SSD performance on KVM is going to be highly unpredictable.
 I have not tested digitalocean, but I did test several other KVM+SSD shared-tenant hosting
providers aggressively for cassandra a couple months ago; they all failed badly.

Your mileage will vary considerably based on what you need out of cassandra, what your data
patterns look like, and how you configure your system.  That said, I would use xen before
KVM for high-performance IO.

I have not run Cassandra in any volume on Amazon -- lots of folks have, and may have recommendations
(including SSD) there for where it falls on the price/performance curve.

--DRS

On Aug 3, 2013, at 11:33 AM, Ertio Lew <ertiop93@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am building a cluster(initially starting with a 2-3 nodes cluster). I have came across
two seemingly good options for hosting, Linode & Digital Ocean. VPS configuration for
both listed below: