From Ike Walker <ike.wal...@flite.com>
Subject How many seed nodes should I use?
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2013 00:55:35 GMT
What is the best practice for how many seed nodes to have in a Cassandra cluster? I remember
reading a recommendation of 2 seeds per datacenter in Datastax documentation for 0.7, but
I'm interested to know what other people are doing these days, especially in AWS.

I'm running a cluster of 12 nodes at AWS. Each node runs Cassandra 1.2.5 on an m1.xlarge EC2
instance, and they are spread across 3 availability zones within a single region.

To keep things simple I currently have all 12 nodes listed as seeds. That seems like overkill
to me, but I don't know the pros and cons of too many or too few seeds.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ike Walker