From Jon Haddad <...@jonhaddad.com>
Subject Re: Recommendation for hosting multi tenant clusters
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 00:42:11 GMT
I strongly recommend against EBS, even with optimized & ebs provisioned.  The throughput
you'll get from local drives is significantly better than what you'll get with EBS (even 4K
iops provisioned)

On Aug 13, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Rahul Gupta <rgupta@dekaresearch.com> wrote:

> I am working on requirement to host multi tenant Cassandra cluster (or set of clusters)
on Amazon EC2 (AWS).

> With everything else sorted out, I have below question where I am looking for recommendations:
>
> Does Amazon’s recent support of EBS optimized images changes whole discussion around
EBS vs. ephemeral drives and image size?

> ·         Option 1: reserved m1.xlarge (4x420GB drives) is $0.187/hr
> ·         Option 2: reserved m1.large EBS-optimized  is $0.119/hr (~$50/month less than
m1.xlarge, but $168/month for 4x420 standard EBS volumes): costs $120/month more, but additional
recovery options

> Given Cassandra is designed to survive failures, combining replication factor 3 and backing-up
to S3, I think should be enough for back up.

> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Rahul Gupta
> DEKA Research & Development
> 340 Commercial St  Manchester, NH  03101
> P: 603.666.3908 extn. 6504 | C: 603.718.9676
>
> This e-mail and the information, including any attachments, it contains are intended
to be a confidential communication only to the person or entity to whom it is addressed and
may contain information that is privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
immediately notify the sender and destroy the original message.