sstable might be corrupted due to bad disk. In that case, replication does not matter.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Jan Kesten <j.kesten@enercast.de> wrote:
Hello together,

today I experienced a problem while loading a snapshot from our cassandra cluster to test cluster. The cluster has six nodes and I took a snapshot from all nodes concurrently and tried to import them in the other cluster.

>From 5 out of 6 nodes importing went well with no errors. But one snapshot of one node cannot be imported - I tried serveral times. I got the following while running sstableloader:

ERROR 09:13:06,084 Error in ThreadPoolExecutor
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)
    at com.google.common.base.Throwables.propagate(Throwables.java:160)
    at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:32)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo0(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferToDirectly(FileChannelImpl.java:420)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo(FileChannelImpl.java:552)
    at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.compress.CompressedFileStreamTask.stream(CompressedFileStreamTask.java:93)
    at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.FileStreamTask.runMayThrow(FileStreamTask.java:91)
    at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:28)
    ... 3 more
Exception in thread "Streaming to /172.17.2.216:1" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)
    at com.google.common.base.Throwables.propagate(Throwables.java:160)
    at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:32)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo0(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferToDirectly(FileChannelImpl.java:420)
    at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo(FileChannelImpl.java:552)
    at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.compress.CompressedFileStreamTask.stream(CompressedFileStreamTask.java:93)
    at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.FileStreamTask.runMayThrow(FileStreamTask.java:91)
    at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:28)
    ... 3 more

I suspect that the sstable on the node is corrupted in some way - and a scrub and repair should fix that I suppose.

Since the original cluster has a replication factor of 3 - shoudn't the import from 5 of 6 snapshots contain all data? Or is the sstableloader tool too clever and avoids importing double data?

Thanks for hints,
Jan

--
Jan Kesten, mailto:j.kesten@enercast.de
Tel.: +49 561/4739664-0 FAX: -9

Diese E-Mail und etwaige Anhänge können vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten. Falls Sie nicht der angegebene Empfänger sind oder falls diese E-Mail irrtümlich an Sie adressiert wurde, benachrichtigen Sie uns bitte sofort durch Antwort-E-Mail und löschen Sie diese E-Mail nebst etwaigen Anlagen von Ihrem System. Ebenso dürfen Sie diese E-Mail oder ihre Anlagen nicht kopieren oder an Dritte weitergeben. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the named addressee or if this transmission has been addressed to you in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any attachment from your system. Please understand that you must not copy this e-mail or any attachment or disclose the contents to any other person. Thank you for your cooperation.