From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: CassandraDaemon - recent unsafe memory access operation in compiled Java code
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2013 22:45:40 GMT
Glyn,
	For tracking purposes could you create an issue on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA
and link to the ticket your raised.

	Just incase something has to change when memmapping.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 9/07/2013, at 3:50 AM, Glyn Davies <gdavies@omnifone.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, this continues without the JNA jar.
>
> In fact, the only thing which cured it was a reboot (!)
>
> Some serious dark magic going on there, as there were no Java processes running and nothing
held the cassandra files open.

> I found a couple of Java dump texts, and opened an Java bug with one of them: http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=9004953
> Though it doesn't seem to show up properly yet
>
> Glyn
>

> From: sankalp kohli <kohlisankalp@gmail.com>
> Date: Sunday, 7 July 2013 22:26
> To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: CassandraDaemon - recent unsafe memory access operation in compiled Java
code

> have u dropped the JNA jar? Looks like the mmap is failing.
>

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Glyn Davies <gdavies@omnifone.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Just starting to experiment with Cassandra, and have hit an early snag.
>>
>> I'm using 1.2.6 on Ubuntu AWS m1.xlarge instances with the Datastax Community package
and have tried using Java versions jdk1.7.0_25  jre1.6.0_45
>> Also testing with and without libjna-java
>>
>> However, something has triggered a bug in the CassandraDaemon:
>>
>> ERROR [COMMIT-LOG-ALLOCATOR] 2013-07-05 15:00:51,663 CassandraDaemon.java (line 192)
Exception in thread Thread[COMMIT-LOG-ALLOCATOR,5,main]
>> java.lang.InternalError: a fault occurred in a recent unsafe memory access operation
in compiled Java code
>>         at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogSegment.<init>(CommitLogSegment.java:126)
>>         at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogSegment.freshSegment(CommitLogSegment.java:81)
>>         at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogAllocator.createFreshSegment(CommitLogAllocator.java:250)
>>         at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogAllocator.access$500(CommitLogAllocator.java:48)
>>         at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogAllocator$1.runMayThrow(CommitLogAllocator.java:104)
>>         at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:28)
>>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>>
>> This brought two nodes down out of a three node cluster – using QUORUM write with
3 replicas.
>> Restarting the node replays this error, so I have the system in a 'stable' unstable
state – which is probably a good place for trouble shooting.

>> Presumably something a client wrote triggered this situation, and the other third
node was to be the final replication point – and is thus still up.