From Jan Kesten <j.kes...@enercast.de>
Subject Re: Corrupted sstable and sstableloader
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:17:10 GMT
Hi,

I think it might be corrupted due to a poweroutage. Apart from this issue reading the data
with consistency level quorum (I have three replicas) did not issue an error - only the import
to a different cluster.

So, if I import all nodes except the one with the corrupted sstable - shoudn't I import two
of the three replicas, so that the data is complete?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 18.07.2013 um 19:06 schrieb sankalp kohli <kohlisankalp@gmail.com>:

> sstable might be corrupted due to bad disk. In that case, replication does not matter.
>

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Jan Kesten <j.kesten@enercast.de> wrote:
>> Hello together,
>>
>> today I experienced a problem while loading a snapshot from our cassandra cluster
to test cluster. The cluster has six nodes and I took a snapshot from all nodes concurrently
and tried to import them in the other cluster.

>> From 5 out of 6 nodes importing went well with no errors. But one snapshot of one
node cannot be imported - I tried serveral times. I got the following while running sstableloader:

>> ERROR 09:13:06,084 Error in ThreadPoolExecutor
>> java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken
pipe)
>>     at com.google.common.base.Throwables.propagate(Throwables.java:160)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:32)
>>     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
>>     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
>> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)
>>     at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo0(Native Method)
>>     at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferToDirectly(FileChannelImpl.java:420)
>>     at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo(FileChannelImpl.java:552)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.compress.CompressedFileStreamTask.stream(CompressedFileStreamTask.java:93)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.FileStreamTask.runMayThrow(FileStreamTask.java:91)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:28)
>>     ... 3 more
>> Exception in thread "Streaming to /172.17.2.216:1" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException:
Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)
>>     at com.google.common.base.Throwables.propagate(Throwables.java:160)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:32)
>>     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
>>     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
>> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)
>>     at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo0(Native Method)
>>     at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferToDirectly(FileChannelImpl.java:420)
>>     at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo(FileChannelImpl.java:552)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.compress.CompressedFileStreamTask.stream(CompressedFileStreamTask.java:93)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.streaming.FileStreamTask.runMayThrow(FileStreamTask.java:91)
>>     at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:28)
>>     ... 3 more
>>
>> I suspect that the sstable on the node is corrupted in some way - and a scrub and
repair should fix that I suppose.

>> Since the original cluster has a replication factor of 3 - shoudn't the import from
5 of 6 snapshots contain all data? Or is the sstableloader tool too clever and avoids importing
double data?

>> Thanks for hints,
>> Jan
>>
>> --
>> Jan Kesten, mailto:j.kesten@enercast.de
>> Tel.: +49 561/4739664-0 FAX: -9
>> enercast GmbH Friedrich-Ebert-Str. 104 D-34119 Kassel       HRB15471
>> http://www.enercast.de Online-Prognosen für erneuerbare Energien
>> Geschäftsführung: Dipl. Ing. Thomas Landgraf, Bernd Kratz
>>
>> Diese E-Mail und etwaige Anhänge können vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte
Informationen enthalten. Falls Sie nicht der angegebene Empfänger sind oder falls diese E-Mail
irrtümlich an Sie adressiert wurde, benachrichtigen Sie uns bitte sofort durch Antwort-E-Mail
und löschen Sie diese E-Mail nebst etwaigen Anlagen von Ihrem System. Ebenso dürfen Sie
diese E-Mail oder ihre Anlagen nicht kopieren oder an Dritte weitergeben. Vielen Dank.

>> This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the named addressee or if this transmission has been addressed to you in error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any attachment
from your system. Please understand that you must not copy this e-mail or any attachment or
disclose the contents to any other person. Thank you for your cooperation.