From Glyn Davies <>
Subject CassandraDaemon - recent unsafe memory access operation in compiled Java code
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 15:15:31 GMT

Just starting to experiment with Cassandra, and have hit an early snag.

I'm using 1.2.6 on Ubuntu AWS m1.xlarge instances with the Datastax Community package and
have tried using Java versions jdk1.7.0_25  jre1.6.0_45
Also testing with and without libjna-java

However, something has triggered a bug in the CassandraDaemon:

ERROR [COMMIT-LOG-ALLOCATOR] 2013-07-05 15:00:51,663 (line 192) Exception
in thread Thread[COMMIT-LOG-ALLOCATOR,5,main]
java.lang.InternalError: a fault occurred in a recent unsafe memory access operation in compiled
Java code
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogSegment.<init>(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogSegment.freshSegment(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogAllocator.createFreshSegment(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogAllocator.access$500(
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogAllocator$1.runMayThrow(
        at Source)

This brought two nodes down out of a three node cluster – using QUORUM write with 3 replicas.
Restarting the node replays this error, so I have the system in a 'stable' unstable state
– which is probably a good place for trouble shooting.

Presumably something a client wrote triggered this situation, and the other third node was
to be the final replication point – and is thus still up.

Any suggestions on next steps?
I've had a good google for the error combinations, but didn't find any hits.

This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email service.
For more information please visit
View raw message