From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Intresting issue with getting Order By to work...
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:21:21 GMT
Here are some posts about CQL and Thrift

 http://thelastpickle.com/2013/01/11/primary-keys-in-cql/
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/cql3-for-cassandra-experts
http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/thrift-to-cql3

Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 17/07/2013, at 11:38 PM, Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the answers.
>
> The reason why I ask is it is stated the composite keys are not the same as Primary Key.
I found no examples for thrift where it specifcally said the composite key is a primary key
required by order by. All the examples where the words primary key were used were with CQL
examples and I am seeing postings where people had issues with Order By but no answers like
what you said.

> If there was better documentation for Cassandra with working examples and explnations
about the differences between CQL and CLI I would not need to ask questions on the users groups.
I have also spotted major issues and tried to help understand them for all users.

> -Tony

using CQL and not Cassandra-cli.
> Order By in CQL is the also supported on the thrift interface.
>
> When using thrift the order you get the columns back is the order the Comparator puts
them in. If you want them reversed the thrift API supports that.

> > I read that thrift clients will not work with CQL created tables due to extra things
created by the CQL. If so how can I create Primary Keys and be supported by thrift based clients??
> No.
> Do not access CQL tables with the thrift API.
>
> > Seems like Cassandra-cli should support creation of compound primary keys or
> It does.
> See help on the CompositeType
>
> > Also CQL tables are not visible via cli.so I can not see details on what was created
by CQL and the cqlsh script has errors according to the latest Python windows program I tried.
> They are visible for read access.
>
> > I will post to Datastax the same question
> Please ask questions to one group at a time so people do not waste their time providing
answers you already have.

> Cheers
>

> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com/
>
> On 17/07/2013, at 3:44 PM, Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Well I got most everything working I wanted using Cassandra then discovered I needed
to use an Order By. I am using Cassandra 1.2.5.
> > The use of Order By requires Primary Key which appears to be only supported by by
using CQL and not Cassandra-cli. So I dropped my table created uisng CLI and used CQL and
was able to create a "Table". But when I went to insert data that worked fine on the cli created
table I now get an exception:
> > Error while inserting com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.InvalidQueryException:
Unknown identifier type.

> > I read that thrift clients will not work with CQL created tables due to extra things
created by the CQL. If so how can I create Primary Keys and be supported by thrift based clients??

> > I will post to Datastax the same question but trying to understand how to resolve
cli vs CQL issue like this. Seems like Cassandra-cli should support creation of compound primary
keys or CQL should create tables readable by thrift based clients. Is there some meta column
info people should add?