From Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: How to build indexes?
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 09:12:01 GMT
Creating a secondary index will trigger the build of that index
automatically.

However, that built is done asynchronously and can take some time if you
have lots of existing data to index. To know when that building is done,
you can check the nodes log for an entry looking like "Index build of
<index_name> complete" (you can also check the IndexInfo system table
(SELECT * FROM system."IndexInfo", the quotes matter for backward
compatibility reason), a row for the new index will appear in that table
when it's built).

You can also force a rebuild however if you want using nodetool
rebuild_index.