From Philippe <watche...@gmail.com>
Subject Heap stuck at 98% while restarting node
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:25:43 GMT
While restarting a 1.1.12 node, I've run into this while it's replaying the
commit log:
GCInspector.java (line 145) Heap is 0.9778097528951517 full.  You may need
to reduce memtable and/or cache sizes.  Cassandra will now flush up to the
two largest memtables to free up memory.  Adjust flush_largest_memtables_at
threshold in cassandra.yaml if you don't want Cassandra to do this
automatically
I see it flush one column family but that's not enough as the CPU stays
locked at one thread running at 100%

Config : 3 nodes running 1.1.3 (x2) and one node running 1.1.12. No caches,
lots of column families.  memtable_total_space_in_mb set to 4096MB
Cassandra is started with a 32GB heap, yes I know it's too high but it
works on the other 2 nodes.

Can someone explain how I can "reduce memtable size" ? Any other ways of
getting this node to restart apart from increasing the HEAP SIZE ?

Thanks