From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: alter column family ?
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 00:10:53 GMT
On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Langston, Jim <Jim.Langston@compuware.com>
wrote:

> On the command (4 node cluster):
>
> nodetool gossipinfo -h localhost |grep SCHEMA |sort | uniq -c | sort -n
>       4   SCHEMA:60edeaa8-70a4-3825-90a5-d7746ffa8e4d

If your schemas actually agree (and given that you're in 1.1.2) you
probably are encountering :

Which is one of the 1.1.2 era "schema stuck" issues I was referring to
earlier.

> On the second part, I have the same Cassandra version in staging and
> production, with staging being a smaller cluster. Not sure what you mean
> by nuking schema's (ie. delete directories ?)

I like when googling things returns related threads in which I have
previously advised people to do a detailed list of things, heh :

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-user/201208.mbox/%3CCAN1VBD-01aD7wT2w1eyY2KpHwcj+CoMjvE4=J5ZaSwYbmw_AyA@mail.gmail.com%3E

Here's a slightly clarified version of these steps...

0. Dump your existing schema to schema_definition_file
1. Take all nodes out of service;
2. Run nodetool drain on each and verify that they have drained (grep -i
DRAINED system.log)
3. Stop cassandra on each node;
4. Move /var/lib/cassandra/data/system out of the way
5. Move /var/lib/cassandra/saved_caches/system-* out of the way
6. Start all nodes;
7. cassandra-cli < schema_definition_file on one node only. (includes
create keyspace and create column familiy entries)

Note: you should not literally do this, you should break your
schema_definition_file into individual statements and wait until schema
agreement between each DDL statement.

8. Put the nodes back in service.
9. Done.

=Rob