From Alain RODRIGUEZ <>
Subject Re: CQL and undefined columns
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:21:52 GMT
I like to point to this article from Sylvain, which is really well written.

It explains a lot of things and is really interesting for Cassandra users

Actually, old dynamic columns were defined this way :

  key            text,
  column1     text,
  value          text,
  PRIMARY KEY (key, column1)

This is still doable with CQL3, column1 would be your column name, value,
the value of your column. As the primary key is composed by key + column1,
you can add as much columns as you want.

An other way to do it is to dynamically add columns (Alter table ...,
afaik, this is lock free and does not slow performance too much).

2013/7/31 Jon Ribbens <>

> I thought that part of the point of Cassandra was that, unlike a
> standard relational database, each row does not have to have the same
> set of columns. I don't understand how this squares with CQL. If I want
> to have a table ("column family"?) with a few fixed columns that are
> relevant to every row, I can create that with CQL's CREATE TABLE, but
> if I then want to set extra columns with arbitrary names on various
> rows, how do I tell CQL what type those columns are? Or is this
> feature of Cassandra now deprecated?

View raw message