incubator-cassandra-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Migrating data from 2 node cluster to a 3 node cluster
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 05:24:52 GMT
Without vnodes the initial_token is stored in the yaml file, as well as the system LocationInfo
CF. 

With vnodes the only place the tokens are stored is in the system KS. So moving a node without
it's system KS will cause it to generate new ones which will mean data is moved around. 

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 9/07/2013, at 11:23 AM, sankalp kohli <kohlisankalp@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Leaving the system keyspaces behind is OK if you are not using vnodes. "
> 
> Why is it different for vnodes?
> 
> 
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
>> This might work for user created keyspaces but might not work for system keyspace
> 
> Leaving the system keyspaces behind is OK if you are not using vnodes. 
> 
> Cheers
> 
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Freelance Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
> 
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
> 
> On 9/07/2013, at 10:03 AM, sankalp kohli <kohlisankalp@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> "If RF=N or RF>N, you can just copy all SStables to all nodes, watching out for
name collision."
>> 
>> This might work for user created keyspaces but might not work for system keyspace
>> 
>> 
>> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM, srmore <comomore@gmail.com> wrote:
>> RF of old and new cluster is the same RF=3. Keyspaces and schema info is also same.
>> 
>> You have a cluster where RF=3 and N=2? Does it.. work?
>> 
>> What are the tokens of old and new nodes?
>> tokens for old cluster ( 2-node )
>> 
>> If RF=N or RF>N, you can just copy all SStables to all nodes, watching out for
name collision.
>> 
>> =Rob
>> 
>> 
> 
> 


Mime
View raw message