From aaron morton <>
Subject Re: Auto Discovery of Hosts by Clients
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2013 20:49:07 GMT
Give the app the same nodes you have in the seed lists.

Aaron Morton
Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

On 20/07/2013, at 9:32 AM, sankalp kohli <> wrote:

> With Auto discovery, you can provide the DC you are local to and it will only use hosts
from that.
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Shahab Yunus <> wrote:
> Hello,
> I want my Thrift client(s) (using hector 1.1-3) to randomly connect to any node in the
Cassandra (1.2.4) cluster.
> 1- One way is that I pass in a comma separated list of hosts and ports to the CassandraHostConfguration
> 2- The other option is that I configure the auto discovery of hosts (through setAutoDiscoverHost
and related methods) on CassandraHostConfguration object while passing only one pair of host/port.

> Is one way better than another or both have their pros and cons according to the usecase.
In case of 1, it can become unwieldy if the cluster grows. In number 2, would I have to be
extra careful while adding/removing nodes (will it conflict with bootstrapping) or is it business
as usual?
> I don't expect to have a multi-DC setup for near future but I believe that would be one
> Is there any other method that I am missing? Is it dependent or varies with the client
API that I am using?
> Thanks a lot.
> Regards,
> Shahab