From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: CPU Bound Writes
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:07:05 GMT
That's very old documentation, try using the current docs.

Although the statement is syntactically correct, it will become CPU bound before becoming
memory bound. That statement says nothing about the IO use.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Cassandra Consultant
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

On 22/07/2013, at 9:00 AM, Mohammad Hajjat <hajjat@purdue.edu> wrote:

> Aaron, here is the source: http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/cluster_architecture/cluster_planning
>
> Thanks!
>

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM, aaron morton <aaron@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> > Wouldn't this make Writes disk-bound then? I think the documentation may have been
a bit misleading then "Insert-heavy workloads will actually be CPU-bound in Cassandra before
being memory-bound"?
> What is the source of the quote ?
>
> Cheers
> -----------------
> Aaron Morton
> Cassandra Consultant
> New Zealand
>
> @aaronmorton
> http://www.thelastpickle.com
>
> On 21/07/2013, at 4:27 AM, Mohammad Hajjat <hajjat@purdue.edu> wrote:
>
> > Thanks/Shukran, Jon! :)
> >
> > Wouldn't this make Writes disk-bound then? I think the documentation may have been
a bit misleading then "Insert-heavy workloads will actually be CPU-bound in Cassandra before
being memory-bound"?

> > On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Jonathan Haddad <jonathan.haddad@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Everything is written to the commit log. In the case of a crash, cassandra recovers
by replaying the log.

> > On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Mohammad Hajjat <hajjat@purdue.edu> wrote:
> > Patricia,
> >
> > Thanks for the info. So are you saying that the *whole* data is being written on
disk in the commit log, not just some sort of a summary/digest?
> > I'm writing 10MB objects and I'm noticing high latency (250 milliseconds even with
ANY consistency), so I guess that explains my high delays?

> > Thanks,
> > Mohammad
> >

> > On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Patricia Gorla <gorla.patricia@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Kanwar,
> >
> > This is because writes are appends to the commit log, which is stored on disk, not
memory. The commit log is then flushed to the memtable (in memory), before being written to
an sstable on disk.