From "PARASHAR, BHASKARJYA JAY" <bp1...@att.com>
Subject RE: Leveled Compaction, number of SStables growing.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 19:33:19 GMT
Thanks Jake. Guess we will have to increase the size.

From: Jake Luciani [mailto:jakers@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:05 PM
To: user
Subject: Re: Leveled Compaction, number of SStables growing.

We run with 128mb some run with 256mb.  Leveled compaction creates fixed sized sstables by
design so this is the only way to lower the file count.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM, PARASHAR, BHASKARJYA JAY <bp134r@att.com<mailto:bp134r@att.com>>
wrote:
Hi,

We recently switched from size tired compaction to Leveled compaction. We made this change
because our rows are frequently updated. We also have a lot of data.
With size-tiered compaction, we have about 5-10 sstables per CF. So with about 15 CF's we
had about 100 sstables.
With a sstable default sixe of 5mb, now after leveled compaction, we have about 130k sstables
and growing as the writes increases. There are a lot of compaction jobs pending.
If we increase the SStable size to 20mb, that will be about 30k sstables but it's still a
lot.

Is this common? Any solution, hints on reducing the sstables are welcome.

Thanks
-Jay

--
http://twitter.com/tjake