From Paul Ingalls <paulinga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: disappointed
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:58:02 GMT
Hey Radim,

I knew that it would take a while to stabilize, which is why I waited 1/2 a year before giving
it a go.  I guess I was just surprised that 6 months wasn't long enough…

I'll have to look at the differences between 1.2 and 2.0.  Is there a good resource for checking
that?

Your experience is less than encouraging…:)  I am worried that if I stick with it, I'll
have to invest time into learning the code base as well, and as a small startup time is our
most valuable resource…

Thanks for the thoughts!

Paul

On Jul 24, 2013, at 6:42 AM, Radim Kolar <hsn@filez.com> wrote:

>> From my limited experience I think Cassandra is a dangerous choice for an young limited
funding/experience start-up expecting to scale fast.

> Its not dangerous, just do not try to be smart and follow what other big cassandra users
like twitter, netflix, facebook, etc are using. If they are still at 1.1, then do not rush
to 1.2. You can get all informations you need from github and their maven repos. Same method
can be used for any other not mainstream software like scala and hadoop.

> Also every cassandra new branch comes with extensive number of difficult to spot bugs
and it takes about 1/2 year to stabilize. Usually new features should be avoided. Best is
to stay 1 major version behind. This is true for almost any mission critical software.

> You can help with testing cassandra 2.0 beta. Create your testsuite and run it against
your target cassandra version. Test suite also needs to track performance. From my testing
performance of 2.0 is about same as 1.2 in my workload.

> I had lot of problems after i migrated from really good working 0.8.x to 1.0.5. Even
if preproduction testing did not discovered any problems, there were memory leaks in 1.0.5,
hint delivery was broken and there were problem with repair making old tombstones appear causing
snowball effect. Last one was fixed about 1year later in mainstream C* after i fixed it myself
because no dev believed me that such thing can happen.