From Kanwar Sangha <kan...@mavenir.com>
Subject RE: is there a key to sstable index file?
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2013 21:09:00 GMT
Yes..Multiple SSTables can have same key and only after compaction the keys are merged reflect
the latest value..

From: S Ahmed [mailto:sahmed1020@gmail.com]
Sent: 17 July 2013 15:54
To: cassandra-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: is there a key to sstable index file?

Since SSTables are mutable, and they are ordered, does this mean that there is a index of
key ranges that each SS table holds, and the value could be 1 more sstables that have to be
scanned and then the latest one is chosen?

e.g. Say I write a value "abc" to CF1.  This gets stored in a sstable.

Then I write "def" to CF1, this gets stored in another sstable eventually.

How when I go to fetch the value, it has to scan 2 sstables and then figure out which is the
latest entry correct?

So is there an index of key's to sstables, and there can be 1 or more sstables per key?

(This is assuming compaction hasn't occurred yet).