From Michał Michalski <mich...@opera.com>
Subject Re: too many open files
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:23:03 GMT
It doesn't tell you anything if file ends it with "ic-###", except
pointing out the SSTable version it uses ("ic" in this case).

Files related to secondary index contain something like this in the
filename: <KS>-<CF>.<IDX-NAME>, while in "regular" CFs do not contain
any dots except the one just before file extension.

M.

W dniu 15.07.2013 09:38, Paul Ingalls pisze:
> Also, looking through the log, it appears a lot of the files end with ic-#### which I
assume is associated with a secondary index I have on the table.  Are secondary indexes really
expensive from a file descriptor standpoint?  That particular table uses the default compaction
scheme...

> On Jul 15, 2013, at 12:00 AM, Paul Ingalls <paulingalls@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have one table that is using leveled.  It was set to 10MB, I will try changing
it to 256MB.  Is there a good way to merge the existing sstables?

>> On Jul 14, 2013, at 5:32 PM, Jonathan Haddad <jon@jonhaddad.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you using leveled compaction?  If so, what do you have the file size set
at?  If you're using the defaults, you'll have a ton of really small files.  I believe Albert
Tobey recommended using 256MB for the table sstable_size_in_mb to avoid this problem.

>>> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Paul Ingalls <paulingalls@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm running into a problem where instances of my cluster are hitting over 450K
open files.  Is this normal for a 4 node 1.2.6 cluster with replication factor of 3 and about
50GB of data on each node?  I can push the file descriptor limit up, but I plan on having
a much larger load so I'm wondering if I should be looking at something else….