From Cyril Scetbon <cyril.scet...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Decommission an entire DC
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:33:06 GMT
And if we want to add a new DC ? I suppose we should add all nodes and alter the replication
factor of the keyspace after that, but if anyone can confirm it and maybe give me some tips
?
FYI ,we have 2 DCs with between 10 and 20 nodes in each and a 2To database (local replication
factor included)

thanks
--
Cyril SCETBON

On Jul 24, 2013, at 12:04 AM, Omar Shibli <omar@eyeviewdigital.com> wrote:

> All you need to do is to decrease the replication factor of DC1 to 0, and then decommission
the nodes one by one,
> I've tried this before and it worked with no issues.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM, Lanny Ripple <lanny@spotright.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a multi-dc setup using DC1:2, DC2:2.  We want to get rid of DC1.  We're in the
position where we don't need to save any of the data on DC1.  We know we'll lose a (tiny.
 already checked) bit of data but our processing is such that we'll recover over time.

> How do we drop DC1 and just move forward with DC2?  Using nodetool decommision or removetoken
looks like we'll eventually end up with a single DC1 node containing the entire dc's data
which would be slow and costly.

> We've speculated that setting DC1:0 or removing it from the schema would do the trick
but without finding any hits during searching on that idea I hesitate to just do it.  We can
drop DC1s data but have to keep a working ring in DC2.