From Cyril Scetbon <>
Subject Re: Decommission an entire DC
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2013 08:33:06 GMT
And if we want to add a new DC ? I suppose we should add all nodes and alter the replication
factor of the keyspace after that, but if anyone can confirm it and maybe give me some tips
FYI ,we have 2 DCs with between 10 and 20 nodes in each and a 2To database (local replication
factor included)

On Jul 24, 2013, at 12:04 AM, Omar Shibli <> wrote:

> All you need to do is to decrease the replication factor of DC1 to 0, and then decommission
the nodes one by one,
> I've tried this before and it worked with no issues.
> Thanks,
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM, Lanny Ripple <> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a multi-dc setup using DC1:2, DC2:2.  We want to get rid of DC1.  We're in the
position where we don't need to save any of the data on DC1.  We know we'll lose a (tiny.
 already checked) bit of data but our processing is such that we'll recover over time.
> How do we drop DC1 and just move forward with DC2?  Using nodetool decommision or removetoken
looks like we'll eventually end up with a single DC1 node containing the entire dc's data
which would be slow and costly.
> We've speculated that setting DC1:0 or removing it from the schema would do the trick
but without finding any hits during searching on that idea I hesitate to just do it.  We can
drop DC1s data but have to keep a working ring in DC2.

View raw message