From Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalka...@ecyrd.com>
Subject Re: sstable size change
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2013 18:49:09 GMT

I don't think upgradesstables is enough, since it's more of a "change this file to a new format
but don't try to merge sstables and compact" -thing.

Deleting the .json -file is probably the only way, but someone more familiar with cassandra
LCS might be able to tell whether manually editing the json file so that you drop all sstables
a level might work? Since they would overflow the new level, they would compact soon, but
the impact might be less drastic than just deleting the .json file (which takes everything
to L0)...

/Janne

On 22 Jul 2013, at 16:02, Keith Wright <kwright@nanigans.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I know there has been several threads recently on this but I wanted to make sure I
got a clear answer:  we are looking to increase our SSTable size for a couple of our LCS tables
as well as chunk size (to match the SSD block size).   The largest table is at 500 GB across
6 nodes (RF 3, C* 1.2.4 VNodes).  I wanted to get feedback on the best way to make this change
with minimal load impact on the cluster.  After I make the change, I understand that I need
to force the nodes to re-compact the tables.

> Can this be done via upgrade sstables or do I need to shutdown the node, delete the .json
file, and restart as some have suggested?