From Paul Ingalls <paulinga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: too many open files
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2013 07:38:34 GMT
Also, looking through the log, it appears a lot of the files end with ic-#### which I assume
is associated with a secondary index I have on the table.  Are secondary indexes really expensive
from a file descriptor standpoint?  That particular table uses the default compaction scheme...

On Jul 15, 2013, at 12:00 AM, Paul Ingalls <paulingalls@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have one table that is using leveled.  It was set to 10MB, I will try changing it to
256MB.  Is there a good way to merge the existing sstables?

> On Jul 14, 2013, at 5:32 PM, Jonathan Haddad <jon@jonhaddad.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you using leveled compaction?  If so, what do you have the file size set at?
 If you're using the defaults, you'll have a ton of really small files.  I believe Albert
Tobey recommended using 256MB for the table sstable_size_in_mb to avoid this problem.

>> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Paul Ingalls <paulingalls@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm running into a problem where instances of my cluster are hitting over 450K open
files.  Is this normal for a 4 node 1.2.6 cluster with replication factor of 3 and about 50GB
of data on each node?  I can push the file descriptor limit up, but I plan on having a much
larger load so I'm wondering if I should be looking at something else….